Arm yourself with research, resources and tools to make a strong case for extending or restoring recess in your school and district.
- Peaceful Playgrounds “Right to Recess” Campaign
Free online tools and materials to start your own recess campaign, including a speakers’ guide, research, alternatives to withholding recess, and more.
- Ranger Rick Restores Recess Campaign (National Wildlife Federation)
Useful tools including a recess policy audit to evaluate your school’s current policy and a model recess policy.
- From KaBOOM!, a national non-profit dedicated to saving play for America's children: Recess with no playground? 5 ways schools can still get kids playing
- The 3 R's? A Fourth Is Crucial, Too: Recess (NY Times)
- Why kids need recess and exercise (CNN.com)
- Don’t Let Recess Die! Six Ways to Save Recess at Your Child’s School (The Huffington Post)
- Recess and your child’s brain (Petrus Psychology)
- Policy Statement: The Crucial Role of Recess in School (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- The State of Play – Gallup Survey of Principals on School Recess (The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
- A Research-Based Case for Recess (US Play Coalition)
- Crisis in the Kindergarten: Why Children Need to Play in School (Alliance for Childhood)
- Increasing Physical Activity Through Recess (Active Living Research)
- The Association Between School-Based Physical Activity, including Physical Education, and Academic Performance (US Department of Health and Human Services)